Viddy Well

This is meant to be a site where I can keep an up-to-date catalog of the films I have seen and collected, and chronicle some thoughts about them, and other tangential minutia.
Enjoin.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Recommended Comics List for D

Having read:
Watchmen - Alan Moore

Scott Pilgrim - Bryan Lee O'Malley
Batman: Year One - Frank Miller
The Killing Joke - Alan Moore
The Dark Knight Returns - Frank Miller


Y: The Last Man - Brian K. Vaughn - vol.1-10

By writer, with titles in recommended reading order:
T = I have at least the first volume to lend
I = I have it in individual issues
D = Don't own it


Alan Moore:
V For Vendetta - T
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - T √

Promethea - T

Grant Morrison:
We3 - T
Seaguy - T
The Mystery Play - T
Sebastian O - T
The Invisibles - I
The Filth - I

Brian K. Vaughn:
Pride of Baghdad - T √
Ex Machina - (political/superhero) - T √
Runaways - (young adult/teen superhero team) - T

Warren Ellis:
Global Frequency - I
Desolation Jones - I
Planetary - (2 large format "Absolute" vol.s coming soon) - D
Jack Cross - I
Ocean - T
Red - (film in development, haven't read yet) - D

Neil Gaiman:
Stardust - T √
Mr.Punch - T
Signal to Noise - T √
Violent Cases - T
The Sandman - TI
Death - I

Frank Miller:
Give Me Liberty - T
The Dark Knight Strikes Back - T √
Ronin - T
Sin City - T

Darwyn Cooke:
Parker: The Hunter - D √
New Frontier - 2 vol.s (The Justice League/WWII) - D √
The Spirit - I

Terry Moore:
Echo - (ongoing) - I

Mark Millar:
Marvel 1985 - T
Kick Ass - I

Alex Ross:
Justice (The Justice League) - I
Marvels (early history of the Marvel Universe) - T

Chris Ware:
Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth - T

James O'Barr:
The Crow - T

Daniel Clowes:
Ghostworld - D
David Boring - T √

David Petersen:
Mouse Guard - I √

Robert Kirkman:
The Walking Dead: Compendium, vol.1
(popular ongoing zombies book, haven't read yet) - D



More suggested titles, if you are interested in these characters,
by character:


Batman :
Arkham Asylum - Grant Morrison - D √
The Long Halloween - Jeph Loeb - D
Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? - Neil Gaiman - I
Batman: Ego and Other Tails - Darwyn Cooke - D
Hush - Jeph Loeb - T
Batman: Year One Hundred - Paul Pope - D
Batman: The Black Glove - Grant Morrison - I
Joker - Brian Azzarello (recently released HC, haven't read yet) - D

Superman :
Superman For All Seasons - Jeph Loeb - T
All Star Superman - Grant Morrison - I

Iron Man :
Extremis - Warren Ellis - I

Doctor Strange :
The Oath - Brian K. Vaughn - T

Iron Fist :
Immortal Iron Fist,
Vol. 1-2 - Matt Fraction, Ed Brubaker - I

X-Men :
Astonishing X-men, Vol. 1-2 - Joss Whedon - T
Marvel Masterworks: Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 1 - Chris Claremont - D

Wolverine :

Wolverine - Frank Miller - D
Logan - Brian K. Vaughn - I


Books about comics:
Men of Tomorrow - Gerard Jones (nonfiction/history)
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay - Michael Chabon (novel)


1 comment:

  1. Books currently on loan from other source:
    * Parker, The Hunter (Darwyn Cooke)
    * DC: The New Frontier - Volumes 1 & 2 (Darwyn Cooke)
    * The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Volume 1
    * The Push Man (Yoshihiro Tatsumi)
    * The Goon: Chinatown
    * Lone Wolf and Cub - Volumes 1 - 3 (Kazuo Koike)
    * Oldboy - Volume 1
    * Jonah Hex: Face Full of Violence
    * Batman: Arkham Asylum
    * The Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite
    * Embroideries (Marjane Satrapi)

    ReplyDelete